Office hours are 10am - 3pm. The office is closed on Thursdays. There may be a time when we are not available during office hours, so please call 636-532-3556 before you drop by. If you need to reach the pastor, please call her at 314-651-7762.
Our location and rich tradition in the community is often one of best kept secrets of Chesterfield.
St. Thomas is located atop the highest hill in Chesterfield, Missouri at 17842 Wild Horse Creek Road. Because we sit up on this hill, we are not always visible from the road to those who pass by on Wild Horse Creek Road. Yet, when visitors travel up the hill, they are instantly surprised by our idyllic natural setting (with a variety of wild animals including deer, wild turkeys, owls and even a few fox and coyote) and the panoramic view from the front of the church.
As we move into a new stage and vision for our ministry, St. Thomas United Church of Christ continues to strive to serve our community and the world around us with the same faith and commitment that has prevailed through the years. At St. Thomas, we do not claim to be perfect, nor do we claim to have the corner on truth, we only claim that we will strive in all times and all places to live out the love of Christ.
"That they may all be one" (John 17:21). This is the motto of the United Church of Christ and it reflects the spirit of unity in which our church is based. We believe that the unity of the church is not of our own making, but rather a gift from God. And as people who are created by God, we are called to celebrate our diversity and varying gifts. We believe that the common thread among all people is love.
So we invite you to join us on the journey of not merely "talking the talk" of Jesus' love, but "walking the walk" of Jesus' love that we are called to have for one another.
Our faith is 2000 years old. Our thinking is not.
We believe in God's continuing testament. This is why we are committed to hearing God's ancient story anew and afresh in our lives and in the world today. We try to remain attentive to God's creative movement in the world. Religion and science are not mutually exclusive, and your head and heart are both welcomed into our places of worship. Our members and leaders are prepared to be engaged in ministry in the present and future church, and we embrace all kinds of communities and new modes of thinking. Why? Because God is still speaking,
On October 7, 1907 Rev. Gustav Adolf Zimmer, pastor of St. Johns Evangelische Kirche at Bellefontaine, Missouri, conducted the first service of worship for the people who were to become St. Thomas United Church of Christ. A small group of faithful people met for worship in the building that housed Henry Wetzel’s Mercantile Company in Gumbo, Missouri. On December 22, 1907, those people officially organized themselves into St. Thomas Evangelische Kirche of Gumbo.
The charter members were Mr. & Mrs. Fred Hagemeier, Sr.; Mr. & Mrs. George Glaser; Mr. & Mrs. Frank Meier; Mr. & Mrs. William Obrist; Mr. & Mrs. Albert Sahm; Mr. & Mrs. D.C. Kroenung; Mr. & Mrs. Leo Steiner; and Mr. & Mrs. Albert Wetzel.
Land for the original church building was donated by Mrs. Fredericka Kroenung and funds for construction were secured through a solicitation of the congregation and a loan from the Synod. On November 1, 1908, the cornerstone was laid for the sanctuary that was to serve the congregation for 50 years. (A picture of the original church building hangs in the main dining area of the Old Spaghetti Factory in Chesterfield Commons.)
A church council was organized with four members: Mr. Fred Hagemeier, Mr. George Glaser, Mr. Frank Meier and Mr. Albert Wetzel.
The first sacrament of baptism was administered to Pearl Glaser, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. George Glaser.
The first Ladies Aid was organized March 17, 1908 by Rev. G.A. Zimmer. The charter members were Mary Schaeffer, Cora Kesselring, Barbara Steffan, Louisa Sander, Christine Schaeper, Fredericka Kroenung, Johanna Sahm, Louisa Wetzel, Henrietta Kroenung, Emma Glaser, Fannie Buck and Lena Kroenung. Their goal was to have 50 members, but by their 15th anniversary, which was celebrated March 18, 1923, their membership was 49.
Construction on the new church building was begun with the laying of the foundation under the supervision of a master stone mason, Mr. Hagemeier. The construction of the sanctuary was a community project with all the neighbors pitching in. Those who did not have money to contribute, hauled wagon loads of rock and gravel from the creek to be used in the building. The carpentry work was done by Mr. Joseph Glaser, Mr. Charles Kelpe and Mr. Collins. The pews in the church were made by Mr. Christ Hohman from a pattern drawn by Mr. Collins. These pews were used until the church was remodeled.
In 1957, the Evangelical and Reformed churches united with the Congregational Christian churches to form the new denomination and identity of the United Church of Christ. (To learn more about the United Church of Church of Christ, check out the denomination's website at ucc.org.)
A new church building was constructed on some land on Wild Horse Creek Rd. and the new sanctuary was formally dedicated in May 1969.
On October 16, 1977 we celebrated our 70th Anniversary & dedicated a new organ for the sanctuary.
(The above history is from "A Brief History of St. Thomas United Church of Christ, Chesterfield, Missouri" compiled and written by Mrs. Garnet Glaser on the 75th Anniversary of St. Thomas UCC.)
On November 6, 2011, we celebrated our 104th Anniversary with a worship service at 3pm. At this service, we awarded (posthumously) the title "Pastor Emeritus" to J. Richard Schnatmeier, our beloved minister of 26 years.